Thursday 30 August 2012

Cholera

I walked through the town and made my way to the Broad Street pump to fetch some water for the cook. I walked towards it and saw a dead cart taking victims of Cholera to the grave sites. I was suddenly intrigued and forgot about getting water, I saw a doctor leaving a house and I questioned him about the outbreak of Cholera that was threatening to take over London. He told me of the past theories of Cholera in the thick smog that rises above the city. The London sewers were improved by Joseph Bazalgette who used theories of gravity to carry the sewerage to a far off section of the Thames. The water was then supposedly treated and filtered, but the disease was still prevalent. An investigation after a family died found that there was an eel in the tap of their home. This meant that the water was not being filtered and was still contaminated by the sewerage. The water was treated from that point on and Cholera became a disease that was worried about no longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment